Those brown spots in the landscaping at your Silver Spring MD home may be caused by common lawn diseases and pests. These include:
- Thatch, which is a buildup of decaying grass blades chokes out healthy grass, and prevents water and fertilizer from reaching the ground. More than ½ inch of thatched grass is enough to cause problems.
- Grubs cause problems in mid to late summer; you can tell you have grubs when your sod easily pulls back from the ground like a carpet. You need to treat for grubs when you see more than ten per square foot of lawn.
- Chinch bugs love warm-season lawns, and are active especially in hot sunny patches beside driveways and sidewalks. When you walk across your lawn, the small adult black and white bugs will stick to your shoes.
- Caterpillars and other pests can also chow down on your grass. You will see blades of grass that look like they’ve been munched on and you may see birds and wasps feeding on these pests.
- Fungus thrives in moist conditions, and causes brown spots in spring and midsummer. They may show up as circular or irregular brown spots, or you may notice a spotting or infected pattern on the blades or a generally dying/thinning out.
There are other causes of browning in your lawn caused by humans, animals, and poor growing conditions. For help in determining the problems with your landscaping in Silver Spring MD, please contact East Coast Landscape Design. For over 30 years, East Coast Landscape Design has been Silver Spring, MD’s leading licensed landscape contractor. Located in Montgomery County, Maryland since 1979, the company has designed, installed, and cared for landscape projects and irrigation systems.