Landscape design for small yards in Rockville, MD can be challenging – but the outcome can be amazing.
You may think that small yards are meant to be plain and “open” in order to seem bigger. But here’s the thing – your yard can seem so much bigger if your landscape design is well-planned and makes the most of your small Rockville, MD yard.
Building Up, Not Out
Great small yard landscape design includes horizontal and vertical features. For instance, you can:
- Use your fencing and home as colorful backdrops for your landscaping
- Hang plants on the fence, shepherd’s hooks, or a lattice panel
- Add a water feature – such as a water wall – which takes up little horizontal space, but adds a lot of drama to your small yard’s landscape design.
- Build a pergola – which is a fantastic design feature for a small space. Adding lights and climbing plants to the pergola can add romantic charm and a feeling of a “get away” to the landscape design of your small yard in Rockville, MD.
- Integrate raised beds for your plants, and use colors that pop
- Add a tall focal point to your small yard design – such as a tree or bamboo
- Install a floating deck in the farthest part of the yard; add a winding pathway to enhance the feeling of a destination
Enhance your Space with Color
Cool colors (like blues and greens) actually make a small space look larger. Therefore, if you would like your yard to feel and look larger, choose the colors that make it look that way.
Plants like silver king and evergreens can give your yard a feeling of largeness. Blue spruce and Alberta pine are good examples of plants that add a decorative touch while helping your property look bigger. In fact, Alberta pines are rather small trees, so they do not take up very much space while at the same time conferring a feeling of maximum space.
Layering in various shades of greens will also give an appearance of depth and richness to the landscape design for your small yard in Rockville, MD.
For more information about landscape design for your small yard in Rockville, MD, please contact East Coast Landscape Design. For over 30 years, East Coast Landscape Design has actually been Rockville, MD’s leading certified landscape specialist.