A retaining wall can solve a number of soil problems for homeowners in the area. You might be wondering, “When do I need a retaining wall in Columbia, MD?” The only way to find out is by consulting with an expert. Retaining walls are complex structures that require precise engineering to improve specific situations.
Here at East Coast Landscape Design, we have a Senior Geotechnical Engineer on our team, our go-to expert for all things related to retaining walls. He has years of experience with local weather and soil conditions. Together with our staff of professional designers and builders, we create beautiful retaining walls that give homeowners just like you more livable outdoor space around their homes.
A retaining wall isn’t a one-size-fits-all solution. It is designed to fit the precise situation on your property. That said, we have encountered 5 situations that are usually improved by building a retaining wall.
- When you home is at the bottom of a steep hill. After a big storm, you don’t want soil sliding onto your home, causing damage. The way to prevent that is with a retaining wall to stabilize the soil.
- When you have hills on your property that make too much land unusable. It’s hard to garden, play and socialize on a slope. When you build a series of retaining walls on your hillside, you create usable land that is flat and easily accessible. You can use it to grow fruits and vegetables and flowers. Your children can play on it. You can create a relaxing spot for socializing on it. You are also increasing the value of your home by expanding its usable area.
- When parts of your yard are ugly from erosion and runoff. A retaining wall helps to manage runoff, reduce erosion and make land more attractive and usable. Instead of unsightly patches of ground, you can create a garden or patio.
- When you are in the pathway of a soil fault line. After a big winter storm, soil can come cascading down if you are in the path of a soil fault line. A retaining wall will control this situation and reduce damage.
- When the soil around the house is unstable. Soil that slides into your foundation can undermine its structural integrity. By constructing a retaining wall, you can stabilize the soil and prevent damage to the foundation.
At East Coast, we have been helping homeowners in the area for over 40 years. We are your local retaining wall experts. We use the finest natural and man-made materials to create a beautiful wall that has both aesthetic appeal and functionality. We handle the entire process, including design, excavating, grading, slope stabilization, and construction.
Call East Coast Landscape Design today to find out when do I need a Columbia, MD, retaining wall.