Heated patios – who wouldn’t want them in Gaithersburg MD?
- Heated patios are used more often, and some homeowners even use their heated patios year round.
- Heated patios are safer than non-heated in Gaithersburg MD; no snow or ice to slip and fall, and no back pain from shoveling.
- Heated patios are eco-friendly; they don’t need salt or other de-icers, which hurt the environment (including our Chesapeake Bay).
How are patios heated in Gaithersburg MD?
- Electric cables or mats are installed underneath patios to warm up the surface of the patios. These plug into a junction box, and often can be controlled remotely.
- Hydronic heating – a much more involved process – uses copper tubing or cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) with a liquid treated with antifreeze to warm the driveway or walkway. A boiler, circulating pump, and manifold are required to run hydronic heating.
Can existing patios be heated?
- Yes – in some situations, electric cables can be laid in grooves of existing slabs or pavers.
- No – homeowners in Gaithersburg MD usually wait until they are installing new patios to include radiant heating systems.
For more information on heated patios in Gaithersburg MD, please contact East Coast Landscape Design. The experienced professionals at East Coast Landscape Design work with homeowners to design dream patios that can be used year-round Gaithersburg MD.
Outdoor living – enjoying patios year round – is becoming the norm for some Gaithersburg MD families. Year round patios are designed to be suitable and reliable for use during most Gaithersburg MD weather – heat, snow, rain, and wind. Hardscaping, landscaping, and outdoor kitchens all play a role in making patios in Gaithersburg MD enjoyable all through the year.
- Hardscaping – Patios designed and built with radiant heating prevent snow and ice, and keep your family comfortable during colder temps; stone fire pits and fireplaces provide extra heat; stone fountains and other water features can help keep your patio cooler in the summer.
- Landscaping – in general, the more greenery around your patio, the cooler it will be. Shade trees provide cover and cool things off in the summer; bushes can be a wind breaker; herbal gardens provide seasoning to your food; perennial and annual flowers are a feast for the eyes, and can bloom through most of the year.
- Outdoor Kitchens – prepare and enjoy most meals (and drinks) outdoors; covered dining tables and bars protect from the sun and rain.
For more information on year round patios in Gaithersburg MD, please contact East Coast Landscape Design. The experienced professionals at East Coast Landscape Design work with homeowners to design dream patios that can be used year-round Gaithersburg MD.
Natural gas fire pits are becoming a popular choice for patios in North Potomac MD – and for good reason. When done well, natural gas fire pits are beautiful, convenient, and safe – and can be turned on with a key or a flip of a switch.
Here are some pros and cons to help you decide if a natural gas fireplace is the right good choice for you.
- Lights easily
- No smoke
- No sparks or embers
- No ash to clean up
- Provides ambiance
- No hauling wood
- No ash to clean up
- Requires a gas line to be run to the pit (which is more complicated for an existing patio)
- Not ideal for cooking or roasting
- Provides less warmth as wood
No homey fire scent
- Fire rings may clog
For more information on natural gas fire pits for patios in North Potomac MD, please contact the experts at East Coast Landscape Design. The East Coast Landscape Design team has over a quarter century of experience in the design, installation, and care of patios in North Potomac MD.